Monday, February 22, 2010

How to Defect from the Roman Catholic Church


As an outspoken anti-theist, I think about issues relating to metaphysics and organized religion with some frequency. I read atheistic and skeptical blogs, I subscribe to atheistic youtube channels, and enjoy reading literature from an atheistic perspective. However, I was never really really doing anything in the interest of curtailing religious ignorance.

I feel that it is completely neglectful and immoral for non-believers to passively sit on the sidelines as religion continues to corrupt public institutions and influence humanity in an overwhelmingly negative way. Yes, I am owning up to being both neglectful and immoral in the past by not actively participating in the religion vs rationality dialogue. That is now going to change drastically. I recently became an active member of the University of Winnipeg Atheist Students Association. That in itself isn't much of a feat and required little effort. I hope that I will be able to assist the group in the interest of de-stigmatizing the word "atheist", reducing the influence of religion on the world, and convincing a few non-practicing-on-the-fence types to officially declare themselves lacking belief in supernatural superstitious nonsense.

I have recently taken three small religion-related actions that I am quite proud of. Firstly, on Friday I walked to Pat Martin's office and congratulated him for his stance against public funding for Youth for Christ's proposed recreation complex. Secondly, yesterday I contacted my city counselor's office to let him know that I disapproved of any public funding for religion based initiatives. Thirdly, I contacted the Arch-Diocese of Winnipeg and obtained instructions on how to officially defect from the Roman Catholic Church and expunge myself from their records. By doing so, I will no longer be counted amongst the 155,000 Catholics in Winnipeg.

Here's how to do it:
-Write a letter stating your desire to defect.
-Include your name, where you were baptized and what sacraments you have received.
-Send the letter to:
Catholic Centre
1495 Pembina Highway
Winnipeg, Manitoba
R3T 2C6

That was easy, wasn't it? I'll post a blog when I get a response.

No comments:

Post a Comment