Sunday, June 19, 2011

A Change in Medium



For the next year, I will be focusing most of my efforts in the realm of public education and communication about radical politics on producing episodes of Black Mask for CKUW 95.9 FM, the campus radio station out of the University of Winnipeg. I may still write intermittently for The Manitoban (see my past articles here) and I will probably write just as infrequently on this blog as ever before.

Here is a link to the latest episode of Black Mask that I hosted solo: right click and save as

I'm not sure that radio is a "better" medium in terms of getting radical politics into the ears, eyes, and minds of the general public. That's a question that I should contemplate more deeply over the next little while. Something that I also need to contemplate is how to continue to promote the idea of "The Plan" itself, rather than just general radical political concepts and analysis.

In the mean time, here's an excerpt from a book called Odd Girls and Twilight Lovers : A History of Lesbian Life in Twentieth-Century America by Lillian Faderman. I'm quite smitten with the quote for obvious reasons:

Those pioneering women who did marry generally selected very atypical men. Perhaps something of an extreme, Carrie Chapman Catt, who even married a second time after she was widowed at the age of 27, was specific about what she needed to make a heterosexual relationship palatable to her. Her second marriage lasted for fifteen years, until George Catt's death, but during their marriage they seldom lived together, since she was busy pursuing voting rights for women. She claimed that her husband, who left her a sizable income to continue her pursuits even after his death, had said to her, 'I am as earnest a reformer as you are, but we must live. Therefore, I will earn the living for two and you will do the reform work for both.' She added, 'The result was that I was able to give 365 days work each year for 50 years without a salary.

No comments:

Post a Comment